Guideline: 1 cup of dry beans will make 2½ cups of cooked beans – about 4 servings.
Rinse to remove any dirt and stones
- Cover with 3 – 4 times the volume in warm water and soak overnight
- Discard old water. Add fresh water and bring to the boil
- Pour this water off and add a fresh batch, and continue boiling until beans are soft
- In place of salt try our vegetable stock for delicious flavour
Cooking time: 60 minutes for most beans, 60 minutes for lentils, 4 hours for chickpeas
- BLACK EYED BEAN ROLL UPS OR SOUP
- 1 – 3 LARGE eggplants cut into ½ cm slices or cubed for soup
- 1 – 2 Cup homemade tomato sauce or leek and tomato sauce
2. For Stuffing:
- 2 – 3 medium potatoes cut into cubes
- 2 medium leeks sliced
- ½ yellow, red or orange bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch-long strips
- 2 Cups cooked beans or 1 can black eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp fresh or dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sage
- M-A Seasoning Salt and Garlic & Herb Salt to taste – about ½ tsp each
- Grill the eggplant for about 5 minutes each side until golden brown and soft
- Dry fry the leeks until soft Add cubed potatoes, sliceed bell pepper and saute gently.
- Add drained and rinsed black beans along with oregano, thyme and sage.
- Stir well and heat through. Cook until the potatoes are soft, then add cubed, cooked eggplant for soup
TO MAKE AS SOUP
Add 4 cups water and tomato puree or simmer gently until thick. Serve with gluten free foccacia.